Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Road Trip Day!

Well, today was the day that was scheduled for me to pick up our embryos from the old IVF clinic in Phoenix and take them to our new office in Tucson. So, we got up early and I packed the car with the things a toddler needs for a day at the sitter's, got dressed and got on the road. I dropped the dog off first and then Nathan and headed to the new IVF clinic to get their nitrogen tank to take to the old clinic so the embryos could be packed safely for travel.

Let me back up to yesterday when I was driving home from the store and my AC went out on my car.... That was not a good moment! I thought then, why in the heck couldn't it have waited until Wednesday to go out??!?!?!? I guess because that is just  the way things go! Just in case you don't live near me, I will tell you because you probably don't know that it can still  get quite hot in the desert in January so I was sort of freaked out that I was supposed to be traveling with embryos that are frozen and need to stay that way to survive!

Thankfully, I had already asked my dear friend P to travel with me for moral support and she said yes. So I had to call her last night and ask if since she was coming with me anyway, could we take her car too and of course since she is awesome like that, she said it was not a problem. Phew!

Back to today, I arrived at the clinic and P was already there so we went in to retrieve our other traveling companion Mr. Nitrogen Tank. Now, I don't know what I was picturing but this guy was large! I guess I sort of thought that it would be small since embryos are small but not so much. Here is a picture of Mr. N.T..




The second photo is of the regulator that recorded the temperature of the inside of the tank from the time that they turned it on to the time that I delivered it back to them and they retrieved the embryos from it. I felt a bit better about the trip knowing that they were able to monitor the temperature that way! After a few papers to sign and strategic placement of Mr. N.T. in P's car, we were on the road. We took it sort of easy getting there and stopped for gas and food on the way up. 
In and Out Burger by the way opens at 10 am even though their doors say 10:30am, so yes, we had burgers and fries at 10am and it was delicious! 
We arrived at the old clinic just before noon and took Mr. N.T. in to be loaded with my two embryos. The embryologist greeted us and told us it would only take 5-10 minutes to load and then he took the tank back. True to his word, he came back about 10 minutes later with Mr. N.T all loaded up, gave us his best wishes for safe travels and made sure I knew that he was no longer responsible for them once I took over. We carefully carried Mr. N.T to the car and wedged him tightly on the floorboard behind the seat (suggestion from the new clinic's embryologist). Then, after a quick prayer and a few deep breaths from me, we headed down the road. We entertained ourselves by chatting with another BFF from college and laughing about what would happen if I got pulled over. Like, how would I explain the nitrogen tank in the back or what would happen if I just didn't pull over and kept on driving with my blinker on like I was going to at some point??? Thankfully, that was just a good thing to laugh about that didn't actually happen! (I stayed only 3 miles over the speed limit the whole time.)
Less than two hours later, we arrived safe and sound and the regulator showed that the temperature never dropped too low during the whole time! Here I am at the new clinic with Mr. N.T and the embryos. 
PHEW!

Afterward, I celebrated the uneventful trip by taking Nathan for ice cream. Here is his happy chocolate face!

 Yesterday was my followup ultrasound to see if the cyst I had was still causing trouble and I am happy to report that it is no longer acting up and I was able to start my injections. So, now that the babies are safe at the new clinic and I have started the medication to prepare for transfer, all we do now is wait for everything to line up right and my body to respond correctly. My next appointment is on the 7th of February and we will see how things are progressing then.

Thank you all so much for your prayers and support!


2 comments:

  1. So far, so good. Will be praying on and on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad this step went well and am praying that the next will go well too.

    ReplyDelete