Monday, November 11, 2019

Gender Reveal

This morning, I woke up to a phone call and I didn't recognize the number but something told me that I needed to answer. It was the nurse calling about the genetic testing and she revealed that all tests were negative and that the baby was low risk for any abnormalities. That was great news!! She then asked if I wanted to know the gender which of course I did!! When Nathan was conceived, I HAD to know then too and I was not about to wait for the anatomy scan next month. Dan wanted to know this time around as well. He didn't know until Nathan was born that he was a he but this time, we needed to plan..... Either pack up the old boy clothes and give them away or start stocking up on girl things. Dan was hoping for a boy as he is practical and we already had everything boy and he knew he wouldn't be able to ever discipline a little princess but he would be happy of course with a healthy baby no matter what gender. I was saying the same, I will be happy with whatever gender, but that I love being a boy mom. When she said to me "congratulations, you're having a baby boy",
my heart raced with excitement and I put on the biggest genuine smile for the first time since hearing "you're pregnant". Dan was still sleeping so I decided that I wanted to try to surprise him in some cute and creative way.  I decided that I would buy a black balloon and have it filled with blue confetti and have Nathan pop it and get a snapshot of his face.  Nathan didn't like that idea. The kid who always wants to pop balloons was telling me "No thank you, I don't want to pop it, throw it away!" So, I changed my plan to trying to make Dan think that it was girl by handing him a pink gift bag with something wrapped in pink inside. Before going to the store, I totally blew my cover. I said, "I have news, I am going to the store to get something so that you and Nathan can find out together what the baby's gender is" and then I proceeded to smile like the Cheshire Cat in Alice in Wonderland. Dan was nice and played along though. I had Nathan hand him the pink bag and he did a great job playing along and pretending to be surprised when he found the blue envelope inside with the words "you're having a BOY" written on it. I am just too predictable I guess but after 20 years together, I guess it is a good thing that he knows me so well. Nathan seemed super excited too, maybe because we were both excited or maybe because he really does want a baby brother, who knows but it was a beautiful moment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment