Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Embryo transfer day!!

Today we drove the two and a half hours to the doctor to see how many embryos we had to transfer. We arrived a bit early and waited patiently until we were called back to go over things with the doctor. She told us that there were two embryos ready to transfer. One was a perfect blastocyst and the other was just about "6 hours behind but still viable". She also said that the other two embryos "probably stopped growing" but that she "will culture them one more day and then check on them and if they have definitely stopped growing, they will be destroyed because they are not viable" but that "stranger things have happened and if they do grow then they will be frozen for possible use later".

With that, we signed papers stating that we were told about the possibility of having twins and were OK with that (At this point lady..... we will take anything!) and I was given a Valium to relax me for the procedure.

We were then taken to our little transfer room where I was told to dress in the usual hospital attire and we waited for the magic to begin. When the doctor came in he explained the procedure and prepared everything, including giving me Nitro to hold under my tongue because apparently that helps somehow and telling me to make a crazy all teeth showing smile and hold it for the duration (which fortunately only lasted 22 seconds). After that, I had a splitting headache from the Nitro and was told to lay there for at least 30 minutes. He asked Dan to rub my temples to relieve the headache and we waited until the nurse came in and gave me my instructions for the two week wait.

About 50 minutes later, she came in and told me that I needed to do nothing for the next few days. I can't get my heart rate up, I can't lift anything, I can't have caffeine, alcohol or nicotine (duh!). Thankfully, I quit caffeine a while ago and am doing fine without it and obviously, I am not drinking or smoking so no worries there!

I can lay flat, eat when I am hungry, drink plenty of fluids and take the numerous supplements she gave me to take. I have to take a blood test to confirm pregnancy on the 11th. This will be a long two week wait.

1 comment:

  1. Implant, little blastocysts! *hugs* I love you, big sis.

    ReplyDelete