Monday, January 21, 2013

How are the follicles doing now?

After today's visit to the doctor, I just want to cry.

The doctor saw little progression from the last visit and said that there are only two mature follicles at this point. There are others but he said he "can't count on those producing eggs". There is hope that one other follicle will mature before egg retrieval day so if that one does mature, we are looking at three follicles or three eggs. However, just because you have a follicle, doesn't mean you have and egg in it and one follicle could hold two eggs. So, I could have anywhere from 6 (yeah!) to none (sad).

He thinks there will be at least 2 eggs and from that we will have two embryos. That should sound like a good thing and I am trying to be optimistic but knowing what I have been through, it is hard. This means that there is no back up and that if we had to do it all over again, we have to start from square one. The problem is that for my age, I should have 30 eggs but instead I have possibly 2. My body is acting like I am 40 something not 31. It is so frustrating and now I have to come to the realization that if this doesn't work, I will have to use donor eggs. Something the doctor mentioned before but I wasn't ready to hear it yet.

1 comment: