Saturday, January 19, 2013

How are those follicles doing?

This past Thursday's visit to the doctor was to check on those follicles. The follicles are what release the eggs and in the IVF process, we want a lot of follicles so we have a lot of eggs. Each follicle potentially has one egg but can also have none. They don't know until they actually go in and retrieve them, how many there will be. In the past, I have had up to 18 follicles but haven't gotten more than 8 eggs. So, my odds are not in my favor.

On this visit, I had 10 follicles, but they were smaller than the doctor expected. (They have to be a certain size before they are ready to release the egg).

So, the doctor was concerned that I wasn't "progressing" as I should and decided to change up the medication. I still get 5 shots a day of different drugs, just more of one thing and less of another.

His next words to me after telling me all the changes and scheduling me another appointment for Monday were: "Maybe you are just one of those patients that will give me two or three good eggs and we will get two or three good embryos and put them all in and it will work".

#?*! 

I am sure he meant that to be comforting but I have to say, after all we have been through, two or three doesn't sound good. It sounds like we have already failed. I know I need to be more positive and I am trying. I also don't want to be greedy or selfish but I feel that if I had a couple to freeze, just in case, I would relax a bit and not stress out during the whole two week wait.

I can't worry about what I can not change and it is in God's hands so, I will just wait and see. 

I go back on Monday and check those follicles again and if all is well, he will set a date for either Wednesday or Thursday to retrieve those eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment