Monday, January 14, 2013

"get pregnant or have a hysterectomy"

In 2002, at age 21, my doctor told me that I most likely had Endometriosis and the "cure" was to either get pregnant or to have a hysterectomy. Well, as you can imagine, at 21 years of age, neither seemed like a great option! I mean, I was seeing someone, we were engaged even but were not ready to have children yet and knowing that we did someday want children..... a hysterectomy was just not an option. So, we went with option C, surgery and medication to control the endometriosis. On my 22nd birthday, I had my first endometrial surgery, a loproscopy to remove scar tissue that would hopefully make my pain go away or at least lessen. After that, I was given 3 months worth of a drug called Depo Lupron, a hormone suppression medication that kicks your body into a "fake menopause". (This was quite fun in the 100 plus degree weather that July, August and September holds in Arizona.) The medication given directly after surgery was supposed to keep my body from making more scar tissue and keep me relatively pain free. After that, I went on continuous birth control for nearly three years. Maybe that decision was my biggest mistake. I will never really know, but I can't help but wonder if I had chosen to do things differently, and had just went with option A, getting pregnant, would things have turned out differently?

2 comments:

  1. Just finish reading all of your posting. The entire time I couldn't help think of your beautiful face from 5th grade -high school. I wish I had the perfect senstence to write...but I don't. Just know I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete